Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Food, Food, Food!

I thought I would give you an update on how it's going with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I can say with honesty that it is getting easier with time. I am tempted to "cheat" once in a while and do drive-though, but then I consider the incredible progress we've made and it completely quashes the temptation.

When we leave the house, we've gotten good at planning ahead and bringing snacks along. Or if we're occasionally caught unprepared and we need a quick bite to eat, there's this thing called the grocery store...:) It's really easy. You get out of your car, go inside and put a few choice items in the cart: cheddar cheese (hard, aged cheddar has very low levels of lactose), grapes, almonds... Sometimes you can find scd-legal meats that you can roll up in a lettuce leaf like a wrap. It's pretty simple, it's just been a matter of changing how we think about our food choices.

We eat at home most of the time because it seems when we eat at restaurants the only choices our scd kiddos have are: hamburger, no bun with steamed veggies, chicken with veggies, or steak with veggies. That can get pretty tiresome for our children. Especially when they watch us chowing down on french fries or pizza. Though Ruby Tuesdays has a great salad bar. The dressings are all illegal, but A doesn't care because he doesn't really like dressing anyway, and M doesn't care because she is fruit-obsessed and only wants to eat the grapes and pineapple.

As time goes on, I am seeing more and more signs that baby Z has the same gut issues as M. He has far too much trouble in that area for a little guy who is 95% breastfed and only about 5% established on solids. My choices are to wait until he weans and begin him on the scd, or (gulp) put myself entirely on the diet right now, since he's probably reacting to all the non-scd foods I'm eating. This will be a struggle because I really, really, really (really, really!) enjoy the weekly/monthly (depending on work/travel schedules, you know?) pizza and ice cream dates I have with my husband. I will try to be a big girl about it and NOT WHINE. But that will be hard for me because did I mention that I really like pizza and ice cream?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the SCD diet is working for your family! That is awesome! I am sorry to hear about Q though, I know you were hoping he wouldn't need the diet. (How is he 9 months already?!?!) Just a short period of time for you to do the diet, then you can go back to pizza & ice cream...you can do it, you can do it... :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!