Monday, April 5, 2010

Climb Every Mountain...

The latest addition to my SCD cookbook collection arrived last week. It was a substantial book entitled "Ice Dream." And as you can probably guess, the cookbook was chock-full of all-natural, refined sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan ice cream recipes as well as cookie, brownie, compote and sauce recipes to compliment.

M was ecstatic when the cookbook arrived and immediately implored me to make her some. I would have done so instantly, had I not run out of scd-legal vanilla earlier in the week. We went to the commissaries, both on the Air Force base and on the Naval station in search of vanilla, but learned through interrogating the employees that they no longer carry that brand, THE ONLY LEGAL BRAND IN THE ENTIRE STORE, so we had to look elsewhere. I was pretty sure that Costco had a brand of vanilla that would be acceptable, and in large quantities as well, so we made our way back to the very southwestern most corner of the island, only to discover that the Costco brand contains sugar or some derivative thereof. Fortunately, I was able to procure a tub of Hawaiian Organic Christmas Berry Honey, as well as a dozen Gala apples, so we didn't exactly leave empty-handed.

I knew that Whole Foods carried an exquisite brand of Hawaiian vanilla extract that is SCD legal, as well as well as several other brands, but *sigh,* Whole Foods is WAAAAAAAY on the other side of Oahu.

"Mommy, I. Wan......T. Nii Neem," said my sweet little M. And I couldn't refuse her, so off we went across the island in our enormous white van. And they didn't have the Hawaiian vanilla, but they had several other brands that were acceptable. So I bought lots and lots so I wouldn't have to come back anytime soon, as well as some some macadamia nut butter (yum!). And I found gluten-free soy sauce! Hooray!

At this point, it was time for A to go to Karate, so we did that (he had to go without his uniform, because I didn't know when we left the house that morning we wouldn't be going back any time soon!), then headed home, talking the whole way about ice cream, and which flavor we were going to make, and how yummy it would be. So we got home, unloaded all our little people and our groceries and immediately set about making our treat. I mixed this, and poured that, blended this, warmed that. After the final ingredient was added I looked down at the cookbook to read: "Pour into 2 wide-mouth quart-sized jars and refrigerate for at least 6 hours."

Now at this point it was already 7:30 p.m. I had been promising M ice cream all day long. What was I to do? I thought for a moment, then I stuffed the Vita Mix with coconut milk and frozen strawberries and processed until thick. And she thought it was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!